Friday, April 17, 2009

Wiki is weird

Okay so here I am at week three, and am still learning new things every time I log on the the licence 2 test drive. I am finding it easier every week to understand what I actually need to write about on this blog.

Anyway onto my Wiki experience. To be honest I have wasted A LOT of time today looking at all the different sites and links that were on the page. I did read a few wiki pages that I was a little dubious about the information and how true it was, but I have used wikipedia at home and in general have found it to be a useful tool to find information I need. I think this form of information is always going to be more up-to-date and thus more relevant as it can change it's information easily (rather than having to re-print a whole book). The information today article raised many good points and was a interesting read.

I looked at a few of the wiki links that were provided. I looked at: Possible next generation catalogues, wookieepedia, LIS wiki, Library Success: A best practice wiki. I found some more interesting than others.

The wookieepedia, although is not a site I would use (as I really don't like Star Wars) was the one I liked the best. I really liked the layout and think if this is a topic you enjoy it has EVERYTHING you would want to know and more. A lot of effort has gone into this wiki.

I think a wiki would work into public libraries very easily. I think it would be great place to create a 'whats coming to the library' or 'about our library' pages. I also think it would be able to be used a a staff tool as well as a public tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment